Sunday, February 1, 2015

Lamington love

How is it the first day of February already? Seriously!

I haven't even recovered from Christmas and New Years etc and already I've been to New Zealand and back and fallen behind in work . . . only one month into the new year!

Anyway, speaking of New Zealand, on the way home I sat next to a mother of two travelling on her own back to Melbourne from Wellington. She had a four month old and a two year old and they were already settled when I got to my seat. I could see the strained look on the mother's face and instantly thought of my friends Bree and Gemma who travel with their little munchkins on their own all the time.

So I smiled and introduced myself to the two year old and offered to help out during the flight. The mother described me as a "Godsend", I think I've racked up enough karma points to last me the year!

Anyway, part of the kids morning tea on the flight was a lamington but Ariel (the two year old) had never had one before. As luck would have it, her Mum had packed Possum Magic to read during the flight so we got stuck into the picture book and discovered all sorts of yummy Aussie treats (they were kiwis but now living in Melbourne).


The timing was perfect as Australia Day closely followed so I got into the spirit and whipped up a batch of Donna Hay's cheats lamingtons. No, I didn't make my own sponge, but if it's good enough for Donna, it's good enough for me.



I took them to long weekend drinks with my friends Lill and Shuggie at the Pop Up Patch veggie garden in Federation Square. A gorgeous afternoon in the sun with vodka lime and sodas - and sexy straws. Shuggie brought Toobs and Burger Rings and a delicious beer and Lill supplied Prosecco. I was well and truly tickled by the time I stumbled home.




I love following my instagram feed over the weekend and seeing how all my friends and family were celebrating Australia Day. There were lots of pavs and lamingtons and lashings of Vegemite. I spent the public holiday at the Hanging Rock Races which felt very Aussie with kangaroos jumping past the track.

And now here we are at February. I hope it's a good month for you all.

xx

lamingtons
  • 1 store-bought sponge cake or 1 quantity basic sponge cake, see recipe
  • 3 cups (480g) icing (confectioner's) sugar
  • ¾ cup (75g) cocoa powder
  • ⅓ cup (80ml) boiling water
  • 75g butter, melted
  • dessicated coconut, to coat

No comments: