Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Salad session


Happy Boxing Kangaroo Day! It's like the day after Christmas, you know, Boxing Day. But it's the day after Australia Day. With an Aussie twist. Clever, hey!?

What did you do for your celebrations? I ticked something off my Victorian Bucket List and headed to the Hanging Rock Races. It was cold, but beautiful. A really nice day out - just wish I'd worn warmer clothing. 

I was starving when I got home and for once, could peer into a fridge full of groceries and take my pick of what I felt like for dinner. It's a rarity to have a well compiled fridge with meals planned for the week.

One of these meal plans included Pete Evans' chicken and avo salad that I saw in the recent Gourmet Traveller (thank you Optus for my three month free subscription!).

It was so easy to whip up and was enjoyed by all. I have sent the recipe off to a few friends already with strict instructions that they must try it. Immediately. But think it's only fair I share the love wider. So yummy. And healthy, I think?

Ingredients2½ tbsppine nuts1ripe but firm avocado, diced500 gmwhite or Savoy cabbage, thinly shredded300 gmleftover roast chicken, shredded60 ml (¼ cup)extra-virgin olive oil (optional)60 ml (¼ cup)lemon juiceSmallhandful soft herbs, such as tarragon, flat-leaf parsley and chervil, coarsely torn (I used coriander)Method
  • 01
  • Preheat oven to 170C and roast pine nuts on a baking tray, shaking tray occasionally, until golden (4-6 minutes). Set aside to cool.
  • 02
  • Mash the avocado to a creamy yet slightly chunky texture in a bowl, add cabbage, roast chicken, olive oil, lemon juice, herbs and pine nuts, toss to evenly dress salad with avocado, season to taste, transfer to a platter and serve.

No comments: