Monday, September 8, 2014

Play a lovely tuna


Tuna is a poor girl's best friend. That, and tinned corn and lentils and chickpeas. It's amazing what you can do with these staples!

I  must admit though, I am a bit of a tuna snob and do love Sirena tuna. The chilli and oil flavour is the bee's knees - tossed through pasta, in a pita pocket, on a bed of spinach with some sun dried tomatoes, olives and feta - the bomb!

But my clever friend Ad recently introduced me to an all new way to indulge in this pantry item (thanks to Aunty Rach). The best tuna dip ever!

Aunty Rachel's tuna tip
1 can chilli and oil tuna
1 tub spreadable light cream cheese
1 squeeze of lemon juice
2 anchovies (I cheat and if I don't have any in the fridge, I use a splash or two of fish sauce, and I think capers would work equally as well)
Pinch of salt and pepper
Slurp of olive oil

  1. Drain the tuna from the oil and chilli - but reserve the oil and chilli for later.
  2. Place the tuna, cream cheese, lemon juice, anchovies, S&P and olive oil in a bowl and blend to combine until smooth (I just used a stick blender).
  3. Transfer the dip to a smaller serving bowl, cover with cling wrap and put in the fridge to set. About an hour is okay and it's not the end of the world if you don't have time for this step - it will just be a bit sloppy but still taste great!
  4. Take out to serve and place the reserved chilli on top, pour over the oil and then sprinkle with dukkah.
  5. Serve with pita crisps, bagels, carrot sticks etc.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum....I need to try this dip! My favourite tuna as well. JB xx