Sunday, October 13, 2013

A berry happy household



It's fair to say I'm the favourite housemate around these parts in the last few weeks.

I've been playing Suzie Homemaker and baking up a storm in the kitchen. My waistline isn't thanking me, but I'm in the good books with my friends.

Tonight I made the super easy and super tasty donna hay chicken and haloumi skewers and a yummy citrus, pomegranate and mint cous cous salad. I've also got some bircher muesli brewing in the fridge overnight. Almost want to go to bed early to wake up and have it for breakfast!

And in the last week, I've been going for the sweet angle and and baked ms hay's oat, ginger and orange crisps (gourmet ANZAC biscuits) and a delicious blueberry yoghurt loaf - both from her Oct/Nov issue.

The cake was for morning tea with a dear old friend and her almost six month old. It was soooo easy and really tasty. I took the leftover half a loaf down to the farm with me for Carri and her hubby so that I didn't have to polish it off myself at home - I have no self control!

The bit I like the most about this recipe is that the butter is melted, so there's no creaming, or blending, or hard work. It's just a case of mixing it all together with a big whisk!

Blueberry and yoghurt loaf
150g unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup (140g) greek style (thick) yoghurt
1 Tbspn finely grated lemon zest
1 tspn vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (225g) self raising flour, sifted
125g fresh blueberries, plus extra to serve (I used frozen)
icing sugar, for dusting


  1. Preheat oven to 160 C
  2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, yoghurt, lemon zest and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. Add the flour and whisk until well combined.
  4. Fold through the blueberries and spoon into a lightly greased 22cm x 8cm x 7cm loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
  5. Smooth the top with a palette knife and bake for 1hr - 1hr 10mins or until cooked when teested with a skewer.
  6. All the loaf to cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  7. Dust with icing sugar and top with extra blueberries to serve (I also added a dollop of yoghurt which was delish)
  8. Serves 6-8

No comments: