Monday, May 7, 2012

Let them eat cake






Now that I'm out of my birthday funk, I thought I'd better share with you my family's favourite birthday cake recipe.

I've had lots of interest via email and instagram - even the odd heytell or two (isn't social media wonderful!??!) - asking what the secret ingredients are.

I'm almost embarrassed to share it as it's just ridiculously easy!

Honeycomb sponge

2 chocolate or vanilla sponges (I've used choc this time)
500mL carton thickened cream (make sure it's one you can whip)
1 large bag choc honeycomb
2 Tbspn golden syrup

  • Cut each sponge in half horizontally so that you have four slabs of cake
  • Smash the bag of choc honeycomb with a rolling pin. You should have some chunky bits and some dusty bits
  • Pour the cream into a mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks form
  • Fold through golden syrup and smashed up choc honeycomb.
  • Lay down one slab of cake on a serving plate and top with a couple of spoonfuls of cream mixture, spread to cover.
  • Layer the rest of the cake and cream until you place the last piece of sponge on top, making sure you reserve enough cream to cover the entire cake.
  • Cover the entire cake - sides and top - in the rest of the cream
  • Enjoy!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum Kate yum!!!! Thanks, I will be making this next weekend! Xx

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday Kate! Wow, this cake looks moorish, I can just imagine Farmer Joe demolishing this in a day or two!