Friday, January 13, 2012

Meat your maker




The meat-eater in me is having a 'beat my chest' proud moment again.

Came across a fabulous article on the urban grocer that listed the top five butchers - sorry, 'meat boutiques' - in the world.

Yay for Victor Churchill in Sydney that was rated #1

"In case you hadn’t noticed, there’s a new rock star in the culinary world: the butcher. For years this trend has been on the rise as increasingly demanding foodies pass on the pre-boxed supermarket pork chops and look towards sustainable offal and locally-raised meats where they can indulge on everything from nose-to-tail."

When's the last time you actually went to the butcher for your meat rather than picking up a polystyrene tray wrapped in plastic from the supermarket? 

It's actually a really rewarding experience - butchers are nice blokes! And they're so helpful. I don't know my shoulders from my fillets from my backstraps (sorry Dad - I've failed you as daughter of a meat wholesaler!) but ask the jolly old man over the counter and he'll be sure to point you in the right direction - complete with cooking instructions and ideas for great marinades or accompaniments.

Head to your local 'meat boutique' this Australia Day and like Sam, celebrate the tradition with Lamb . . . "it's fantastic!"

(Is it just me or are these Lamb ads getting more outrageous every year?! What will they think of next!?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should be commenting on your post but just can't tear my eyes away from that meat sign! Jeepers, that is gorgeous x

Gild and Grace said...

That first pic is definitely the most rockin butchers shop I've ever seen! I always buy my meat from the butcher and never the supermarket. It really is a worthwhile choice too because not only is the quality of the meat better but I also get plenty of handy cooking tips!

Abbey x