Thursday, February 24, 2011

Peachy heaven

My Granny and Grandpa have more peaches than they know what to do with at the moment. The birds love them and if you're not quick, they ruin the fruit before you have time to run out the back door. I've been eating peaches from dawn til dusk - with yoghurt for breakfast, in slices after lunch and with icecream at dinner time.
I was all peached out and needed to use up my umpteenth bucket before they went off - it would be such a waste!
Housesitting Mum and Dad's last weekend, I felt the urge to bake. Now, I'm no baker. I don't have it in me, there's a science to it, a real artform. And I don't have the gift, I'm afraid.
So I hunted for an easy recipe and found one that looked relatively simple. And it was.

So I tried to make them 'cafe' style with paper cases. Looking good in the oven.

And while they baked, our little dog Dougall kept me company.

I prepared for the afternoon snack with a fabulous Nespresso break . . .

And got a little bit excited when they came out looking like this. Yummo!

But what a disappointment! They were the most bland, boring, disappointing, waste of time muffins in the world. I don't know where I went wrong! I think it's Mum's electric oven - muffins and cakes just don't go crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. They're all kind of blah and doughy and kind of rubbery. And no, I didn't overmix if that's what you're thinking!
So, I'm not even going to bother to share the recipe with you - it was just one I googled and found on taste.com.au which I normally love. But I figured I went to the effort of taking the pics so I might as well post them - as heartbreaking as it is to admit defeat!
Oh well, perhaps I'll stick with what I know best and steer clear of sweets in favour of awesome haloumi platters and fabulous salads.






No comments: