Monday, April 26, 2010

Wonderful Waiheke








I have been very quiet on the recipe front lately - not for lack of trying new things and keeping things fresh, just lack of time!

Things have been hectic with so much going on in the world of Kate - I like to call it my "in between" time . . . in between jobs, in between boyfriends, in between housemates and in between best friends! (The in between boyfriends reference relates to a book that Bree gave me a few years ago - it's a much nicer way of phrasing 'single'!)

So I thought it was time to report on my NZ adventures and share a gorgeous recipe I picked up over there. Flea and Gak (Fern's sister and brother-in-law) spoilt me rotten during my stay on Waiheke Island, just out of Auckland - we ate like kings (and drank like jokers!). I just wish I hadn't been so tipsy with my camera to forget to take photos of all the gorgeous food we gorged on. I did take some pics, but they don't do it justice - call it champagne goggles!

Flea introduced me - a non mango lover - to a gorgeous avocado and mango salad that I shared with the JKL at our Easter dinner. Divine! Pic is the top one, followed by some great local cheese, gorgeous green curry mussels, beautiful roast veggie salad and a great pear, rocket and parmesan salad with some yummy tamari roasted sunflower seeds. Yum!

Mango & Avocado Salad (I'm going to call it Waiheke Island Salad)
1 iceburg lettuce, roughly chopped
3 large ripe mangoes, thinly sliced (canned works okay if you're out of season)
3 large ripe avocadoes, roughly chopped
1 medium red onion, finely diced
2 Tbspns each of mint and coriander
Dressing
3 limes, juice and finely grated zest
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tbspn sweet chilli sauce
1 Tbspon sesame oil
1 1/2 tspn fish sauce
Combine all chopped salad ingredients. Mix dressing in a bowl and pour over dry salad. Ah-mazing.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

I love Waiheke island.

We did a day trip when we were in Auckland oh about 10 years ago and it's just fabulous. I highly recommend to anybody I know going to NZ.

In fact I recommend NZ to anybody looking for somewhere to have a holiday - it's a wonderful place.

And sald - looks great.